Sunday 16 October 2011

Darkside's World of Wrestling Rants Part 1


It's been a while since I've posted on TLP, as work as of late has been a pain in the backside, also due to working longer hours in order for my WrestleMania 28 trip, has put me out of the spotlight on the site for nearly a month now.

But after a hectic week of work and trying to get everything in order, I can formally say that I'm back, and think it would be fitting to begin a new entry in the blog entitled 'World of Wrestling Rants'.

Now it may not be what you think, No, I wont sit here for an hour talking about how "WWE should go TV-14!" or any other crap that usually spirals from rants on forums, this is more of a exposure to the things I've seen the past week in the world of Professional Wrestling.

1. BROCK LESNAR

Ever since Brock Lesnar made his debut in the WWE (then World Wrestling Federation) I had been a follower and a fan of Brock's wrestling skills and pure athleticism in the ring. Varying from the feuds he had with The Rock, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, among others, Lesnar showed the wrestling world, that he was indeed 'The Next Big Thing' and that Brock Lesnar was a name to be wreckened with in the WWE.

I was saddened by the news back in the start of '04 that Lesnar was on his way out of the WWE after WrestleMania 20, and that Lesnar was wanting to purse a career in the NFL. While I knew from previous DVDs including 'Before they were Superstars's that Lesnar was always a big fan of the NFL and always thought if wrestling didn't get him far, NFL would be the next step.

Seeing his match at WM20 was a disgust, that being thrown in with Bill Goldberg, who was also on his way out, really didn't look to me as a 'closure' in Brock's outstanding 2 year stunt in WWE.

Fast forward to 2011, Brock Lesnar eventually brought himself into the Mixed Martial Arts and is now apart of the UFC. Lesnar has shown that not only is he a brilliant wrestler, but also can go in the 'real world' of MMA. Now you might think, what's the point of this entry regarding Lesnar? Let me explain.

I was watching a whole heap of Lesnar matches on YouTube over the weekend, and then eventually went over to Brock's Facebook Page. This is where it got my anger meters up when i saw such comments as:

"I didn't like this page for fake wrestling crap"
"I will 'unlike' you if you keep posting WWE fake crap, I'm here for MMA!'
yada, yada, crap.

What pisses me off is that some of these little dweebs, love posting useless Pro-UFC - Pro-MMA crap on a whole heap of Lesnar or any former UFC-WWE wrestlers (Such as Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, etc)

What they dont get, that Brock Lesnar is a former NCAA Wrestling Champion. Not a former Fake Wrestling Champion, NCAA is pure WRESTLING. What most MMA fans think when they hear 'Wrestling' they automatically think 'FAKE' and 'LETS BASH WRESTLING, WWE and EVERY FAN'.

They fail to realize is that Brock Lesnar was well KNOWN through his wrestling roots, and if it wasn't for the WWE and how he got there, Lesnar wouldn't have got the recognition he does this day, which himself said on an interview back in 2009. Pure athletes also like Kurt Angle, Ken Shamrock, among others, still get bashed to this day about any involvement within the WWE.

I guess some of these so called 'MMA' fans need to watch some NCAA videos, or hell, maybe some Olympics from 1996 to show them the true meaning of professional wrestling.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of MMA, but I guess in this day and age, everyone loves to bash each other for a love of another sport, love hate relationships eh?

2. JIM ROSS/RAW

This is another topic that tends to always come across through the IWC as a 'shocker' whenever Jim Ross gets fired on RAW. Now, as of late since Ross ever came back after Triple H 'rehired' him on RAW, Ross, to me IMO, hasn't been the same since his glory days.

Now it may have been the fact that a 3 Man Booth doesn't work, especially with Cole thrown into the mix, but in all honesty, I rather have Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler do RAW, and only have Ross on PPV events (Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, SummerSlam, and of course WrestleMania.)

Back to the topic of Ross on RAW, I honestly think WWE removing Ross from commentary was a smart move. Not only does it give a break to a man at Ross's age, but also leaves the clutter out of trying to get each announcer to say a word. With SmackDown, it fits perfectly as Booker T only throws out his 'OH MY GOODNESS' and 'WHAT DA HELL?' randomly at times, offers it to the table.

Someone like Ross, didn't fit well in the Cole-Lawler RAW seat, as for obvious reasons, Lawler is 'Color' while Cole and Ross are use to full on PBP. Having two PBP's doesn't work out, at all. (Watch Royal Rumble 2004-2005)

Everyone needs to let go the Jim Ross fantasy of 1996-2006. We need to move on. (That's also looking at you Lawler!)

That's it for now seeing it's late where I am, watch out for Monday Night RAW Review on Tuesday :)

-Darkside

No comments: